Frequently Asked Pension Questions

1. Q. What is the UFCW Local 464A Pension Plan?

A. The Local 464A Pension Plan is a Defined Benefit Plan that provides a fixed monthly payment to eligible retirees for life based upon years of service and the age at which retirement begins. For complete details see your Pension Plan booklet.

2. Q. How do I obtain a copy of my Pension Plan booklet?

A. See your Shop Steward. Ask him/her to obtain a copy for you from your Union Agent or Service Representative.

3. Q. Who is covered under the UFCW Local 464A Pension Plan?

A. Full-Time and Part-Time members employed by companies that provide contributions to the UFCW Local 464A Pension Fund as stipulated in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Other employers such as A & P, Stop & Shop Long Island (former Finast/Edwards) and Thruway Markets make contributions to a different fund.

4. Q. Where do I call if I have a question about my pension?

A. If you are or were employed at:
A&P Full-Time, Stop & Shop Long Island (former Finast/Edwards) and Thruway Markets call - UFCW National Pension Fund 800.531.2385 (or go to Web Site

If you are or were employed at:
A&P Part-Time call - A&P Montvale Office 201.571.4548 (This plan is provided and administered by A&P)

Full-Time and Part-Time (not employed by A&P) call - Local 464A 973.256.3446

5. Q. If my employer does not make contributions to the UFCW Local 464A Pension Fund am I still covered under a pension plan?

A. If contributions are defined in your Collective Bargaining Agreement the name of your Pension Fund will be identified in that Agreement. For example:

1. A & P Full-Time, Stop & Shop Long Island Full-Time (former Finast/Edwards) and Thruway Markets are under the UFCW National Pension Fund - 800.531.2385 or

2. A & P Part-Time is administered by The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co. in Montvale, NJ - 201.571.4548

6. Q. Under the Pension Plan what does years of vesting mean?

A. A vesting period is the amount of time a person holding a right must wait until he/she may exercise that right and until that right may not be taken away. Your months and years of vesting service are used by the pension plan to determine if you are eligible for any of the various types of pension benefits. For example, currently you must have at least five years of vesting service to be eligible for any types of pension benefits available under the pension plan. Your right to a normal or early retirement pension is non-forfeitable once you have earned five years of vesting service.

7. Q. I will be retiring soon. How do I arrange for my Local 464A pension payments to start?

A. Be sure to notify the Pension Department in Little Falls, NJ by calling 973.256.3446 well in advance of your expected retirement date. You will be provided with the appropriate forms, which must be filled out and returned to ensure that pension payments commence on time. Others should call the UFCW National Pension Fund at 800.531.2385 or A&P Part-Time Fund Administrator at 201.571.4548

8. Q. Can I have my pension payments directly deposited into my checking account electronically?

A. Yes. Contact the appropriate Pension Department. You will need to provide your checking account number and the routing number of your bank. If you are unsure of the correct numbers to provide contact your bank.

9. Q. Can I borrow money in advance from the pension I expect to receive when I retire?

A. No. The Plan is a Defined Benefit Plan, not a Defined Contribution Plan. As a Defined Benefit Plan, no individual participant account balances are maintained under the Fund. Participants are not permitted to make withdrawals from nor contributions to the Fund.

10. Q. Does the Pension Plan offer a lump sum payment program?

A. Pensions are payable monthly. However, if the actuarial value of any new pension payable under the Plan is $5,000 or less, the trustees may elect to pay it in one lump sum.

11. Q. What happens to my pension if I die?

A. If you are a participant in the Local 464A Pension Plan your legal spouse to whom you have been married for at least one full year prior to your death or retirement (whichever comes first), would be entitled to 50% of your calculated monthly benefit for life.
If you are a participant in the National Pension Fund the spousal benefit may be elective at the time of your retirement.
A&P part time members should contact the A&P main office for information on their entitlements.
In all instances your benefit cannot be assigned to any other person.